Mission

Mission: To connect every burdened soul to the Lord by the power of the Word and anointed prayers for self transformation and actualisation of divine blessings.

Vision

Vision: A transformed society of believers, basking continually in the glory of Christ Jesus.

Wednesday 29 June 2016

THE GOD OF ALL COMFORT

Text: 2 Cor 1:3-5

The word comfort means relief from affliction and freedom from pain. To comfort is to soothe and to console. Comfort is: a release from suffering, to be at peace, shift from hardship to peace and from a state of inconvenience to convenience. Few of the characteristics of God are: to bring comfort to his people, release one from affliction and suffering, soothes one's pains. God's comfort is unique, everlasting and it is available at all times. "Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort. Who comforteth us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God." (2 Cor 1:3-5) Our God is always ready to comfort us. He loves us, gave us everlasting consolation, good hope through grace and always ready to comfort our hearts. "As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you, and you will be comforted over Jerusalem.” (Isa 66:13) All comfort come from God and our sweetest comfort are in him.

Our Lord Jesus Christ like his Father was a comforter to his disciples while on earth and he extended this to us. "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another comforter, that he may abide with you for ever. I will not leave you comfortless." (John 14:16, 18). The ministry of comfort was shared among God, the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. We receive comfort through God's written and spoken word by meditating on them especially when passing through specific situations to re-emphasise, strengthen and activate our faith and draw from God.


Examples are:
Ps 23:1. The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
Isa 41:10. Fear thou not, for I am with thee; be not dismayed; for I am thy God; I will strengthen thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. 
Ps 27:1. The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
Ps 34:19. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.
Rom 8:31. What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
Phil 4:4. Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say, Rejoice.
1 Peter 5:7. Casting all your care upon him, for he cares for you.
John 14:18. I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you.

There are still many of these in the Bible that bring solace and comfort to us. Through the comfort Paul experienced from God, he was able to comfort and encourage believers to a large extent. God alone is the source of real and lasting comfort. True comfort comes through the word of God. His comfort is not based on uncertainties of life. When we are in the midst of the turbulent waters of life, His word is available. "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." (Isa 43:2)  His comfort is to lift us out of discouragement, sorrow and disappointment. He is not indifferent to our needs; He cares for us.

By reversing losses and making it recoverable. Job 42:10 &12, "After Job had prayed for his friends, the Lord made him twice as much as he had before. The Lord blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the first." God is able to bring comfort to one through restoration of all losses. Paul was comforted and he shifted his focus back to his calling. Praise be to God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and God of all comfort who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.

I pray I will be able to enjoy and benefit from all the comfort you make available in various ways to mankind. Grant me the grace to be in constant personal relationship with you and to live a sinless life so that I will not be separated from you in Jesus name I pray. Amen. David wrote in Ps 119:50, "This is my affliction; for thy word hath quickened me." The word of God brings solace to sorrowing hearts and peace to those in great turmoil. David knew this as an attribute of God. Apostle Paul, through first-hand experience recorded in 2 Cor 11:24-27, wrote about this characteristic of God in 2 Cor 1:3-5. He knew God comforts in all our tribulations, sorrows and afflictions.


He comforts us in different ways:
By turning his anger away - Isa 12:1,"In that day you will say, I will praise you, O, Lord. Although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforted me". If God is angry with an individual for any reason, such an individual will be uncomfortable. May He not be angry with us. Amen.
By putting an end to warfare our lives and fighting battles for us. He is the Lord of Host. "Listen King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the LORD says to you: do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, butGod's." 2 Chron 20:15
By showing His goodness - God comforted David by showing him his goodness when he was in distress. "Give me a sign of your goodness, that my enemies may see it and be put to shame, for you, O LORD, have helped me and comforted me." Ps 86:17.
By making us to be in abundance - Isa 44:3, “For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants." He can really turn our wilderness into Garden of Eden and make us swim in abundance. He comforts us in all troubles, afflictions, sorrow and states of despair. Paul, in despair, cried to God thrice to take away the thorn in his flesh when tormented by a messenger of Satan. God encouraged him and comforted him by saying. "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor12:9
Through Jesus Christ our comfort overflows and through the Holy Spirit we enjoy his comfort. What are the discomforting, troubling circumstances that you are in today? Suffering from financial incapacitation, frustration from business, failure, hate and resentment by society, loneliness, sorrow from failure, breakdown in relationship, delayed fruitfulness, hopelessness due to a chronic ill health?
Brethren, for you to enjoy His comfort, make sure you are not separated from Him. Do not allow sin to separate you from Him and have a personal relationship with Him always.
Prayer. Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for being God of comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment