Text: Amos 4:12, Matt 16:26-28, Matt 25:34
Eternity means "without limitation of time and space". It is an endless time and the space has no boundary. It is only relevant to life after death. It can either be spent in heaven or hell. Heaven is a prepared place for the prepared people (John 14:2) It is for the righteous after death because that is the abode of God, Christ, the good angels and the saints. It is for those who remain in faith to the end. (Matt 10: 22). It is a land of promise for those who endure to the end. While hell is the place for the wicked after death and the condemned spirits.
Eternity is the greatest gift from God and it is the greatest hope you have. It is permanent and it is inevitable. This sermon will focus on how to prepare for eternity that will be spent in heaven.
To prepare in this case is to be focused and to fix your gaze on Jesus Christ, the author and the finisher of our faith and also the joys above. To prepare is to put yourself in readiness for heaven.
If heaven is for the prepared people, then you must be well prepared and live each day prepared.
For the day of The Lord will come as it were, like a thief in the night. Eternity should be your greatest priority in this life.Your present abode is temporal. The scripture says in Amos 4:12 "Prepare to meet thy God". Preparation for eternity can be likened to a bride beautifully dressed and without blemish awaiting her bridegroom.
Your sojourn here on earth is temporary, no matter how long you live here on earth, it is still short in comparison to eternity. It is certain that you will leave one day, therefore prepare adequately well for where you are leaving for. It is very true that you brought nothing into the world, and you can take nothing out of it.You should therefore lay up your treasures in heaven, where moth nor rust doth corrupt, for where your treasure is, surely there will your heart be also. Matt 6:20.
For God does not want you to perish but to have eternal life. He wants you to make it to heaven and to come and sit on His right hand and reign with Him. The scripture says in 2 Peter 3:9, "He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance". God has no pleasure in the death of the wicked but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Hence He sent Jesus so that you may live. And Jesus assures you and I that He has gone to prepare a place for us. In Matt 14:2, He says "In my Father's house are many rooms, if it were not so. I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you". So brethren, get prepared.
Your preparation involves: accepting Jesus as your Lord and Saviour, believing in The Lord Jesus, His death, burial and His resurrection from the dead. Jesus says in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth and the life, nobody comes to the father except through me". Therefore, the only way to eternity is through Jesus. He is coming back to take the saints.1Thess 3:13. Since nobody knows the time, you must be prepared.
By accepting Christ you must:
- Get baptized Mark 16:16
- Love Him, follow Him and give your life to Him totally. John 15:9-10.
- Obey Him and keep His statues. Acts 5:29.
- Stand firm in faith till the end. Matt 24:13
- Fear God and keep His commandments. Ecc 12:13
- Confess your sins and repent.1 John 1:9
- Free your heart from worldly pleasures. Heb 13:5.
- Mend fences and be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18, Heb 12:14.
- Restitute your ways with God and men. Lev 6:2-5, Rom 10:10.
- Be faithful in all things even unto death. Rev 3:11.
- Live holy and be pure .Live to please God in all ways. 1 Pet 1:15.
- Walk in His ways always.Gen 17:1.
- Worship Him in spirit and in truth. John 4:24.
- Lay up your treasures in heaven. Matt 6:20.
- Order your priorities and seek first the kingdom of God. Matt 6:33
- Do not owe anybody and do not owe God in tithe and in offering. Prov 3:9.
- Patiently endure temptations till the end. James 1:12.
- Win souls and testify to His goodness. John15:16.
- Be involved positively in the Ministry of reconciliation and the Great Commission. Mark16:15.
- Stand firm and keep advancing in the work of God.1 Cor15:58.
- Set your heart on things above where Christ is seated. Col 3:1.
- Set your mind on things above not on earthly things. Col 3:2.
- Put to death what ever belongs to your earthly nature. Col 3:5.
- Avoid procrastination,your salvation is now,for tomorrow may be late. 2 Cor 6:2.
- Even when you are sure of your salvation, guard it with fear and trembling. Phil 2:12
- Ask for divine grace to help you prepare adequately for eternity.
Your mansion is awaiting you. The scripture says in Matt 16:26-28, "what good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?
For the son of man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels and then he will reward
each person according to what he has done." Also in Matt 25:34, Jesus said to those on His right
"Come, you who are blessed by my father, take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world."
Brethren,when He shall come with the trumpet sound, where will you be found? When the roll is called up yonder,will you be there? You must be prepared.
PRAYER: Father in heaven, I know Eternity is inevitable and that heaven is real. Grant me the grace to be adequately prepared so that when the roll is called yonder, I will qualify to be there in Jesus name. Amen